Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Good bye, Scotty

James Doohan passed away yesterday.

I remember how excited I was when Star Trek made its first appearance on the air. My best friend immediately fell in love with James T. Kirk. I fell in love with Spock. But I always had a soft spot, a crush if you will, for Mr. Scott.

Scotty was always asked to do the impossible and he always came through. Sometimes it was a close call, yes, but he always got the Enterprise moving, always saved their collective bacon in the nick of time. Well, that's how the scripts were written, you say, not indicative of characterization.

You're right. The characterization came from the actor, James Doohan. He took a secondary character and made him an icon among icons. That's acting. And personality. I suspect Mr. Doohan wasn't appreciated for his acting--I've only seen him in one other show and that was as a guest--but he'll be long remembered.

No comments: