Why am I telling you about recipes? Well, authors have to eat too. And we have families who want to eat occasionally, lol. Right now, I'm working on a novella for a YA book, my part of a shared novella with friend and co-author Linda Wisdom, a new a play for my church and a book review or three. So I need something to throw in the crock pot or the oven. I'm thinking the oven will help add a toasty warmth to the house so I'm thinking about making a Cheesy Mac and Cheese dinner.
- 1 bx elbow macaroni 1lb
- 2 can(s) cheddar cheese soup
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 stick butter, cut into about 10 pieces (to speed microwave heating)
- 1 tsp each of salt and pepper
- 2 c extra sharp cheddar cheese,shredded
- 2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 c pepperjack cheese, shredded
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Cook pasta according to pasta directions just until done (about 8-9 minutes for al dente); drain and return to pot.
3. Combine soup, evaporated milk, butter, salt, and pepper in a large microwaveable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small vent, and cook for until the butter is melted and the mixture is warm-to-hot throughout. (time will depend on your microwave's power)
4. Pour soup mixture over cooked pasta and stir gently to mix
5. Add cheeses one at a time stirring constantly, until everything is melted and incorporated. You may need to put the pot on low heat.
6. When the cheese is melted, put pasta mixture into an oven proof baking dish sprayed with a non-stick spray. Bake for 40-45 minutes. (I like to get a good browned crust on the edges...or all over the top, lol)
7. If you don't want to add heat to the house, try the good old crock pot. Follow steps 1-5, put the mixture in your crock, set the crock pot to low, cover and cook for 4 hours (again, depends on your crock pot - adjust time as needed.)
If you try the recipe, let me know what you think.
Have a Blessed Day!