Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Who Likes Butternut Squash Soup?

Besides me that is, lol. I love it and just made a small vat of it last night. Hubby adores my butternut squash soup so I try to make it a couple of times each Fall and Winter.

This time I used an Alton Brown Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food Network. The consensus was that while it was great, it wasn't as good as the one I usually make using my own recipe which is outright terrific!

In fact, I based a soup in Heartstone on it. The heroine, Keriam, used a dakka plant to make soup for an injured Eric. I posted the recipe here on this blog way back when and a couple of readers tried it out. Apparently, they enjoyed it too ;-)

Here it is again (you can see the original post by searching for Dakka Soup Revised)


Favorite Butternut Squash Soup

1 lb frozen butternut squash, cubed (if fresh, quarter it and roast in oven at 400 deg for 35 minutes OR peel, seed and cube then cook in the stock)
2-3 C. chicken or vegetable stock (I like the stock in a box)
1 6 oz can condensed milk
1/2 t. nutmeg, optional
3 T. applebutter
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place squash in 4 qt sauce pan, add enough stock to cover. Bring to boil, then simmer 20 min. When fork tender, mash until smooth (or use an immersion blender), add condensed milk, applebutter and nutmeg. Stir. Simmer about ten minutes to allow flavors to meld. Serve. Appx 4 servings Serve with a crusty bread to sop up the goodness.


You can also use pumpkin if you don't happen to have butternut squash handy. 16 oz. Pumpkin in a can works well.

Sorry, Dakka is only available on Neraldi ;-).

No comments: