Saturday, December 15, 2012

Heartbreaking Tragedy at Connecticut

It was late yesterday afternoon when I first heard about this tragedy. My Hubby and I were just sitting down for dinner after a day of putting Christmas decorations up. I'd made a run to get my hair cut and to the post office to buy stamps to replace the ones we accidentally shredded the day before. We were having leftovers which we enjoy when the meal was good and discussing the fact that the new Three Wise Men I'd bought for the outside Nativity scene needed special bulbs and we'd have to run out to the hardware store to get them. We decided to listen to the news to see what we'd missed during the day. Hubby turned the little TV in the kitchen on while I got bowls out for our cole slaw.

Then he started cursing.

I turned around, listening as they announced that 20 little kindergartners had been shot and killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. I could do nothing more than gasp and hold my stomach. Then, with teary eyes, I prayed they were wrong, that it was a mistake.

But it wasn't.

I thought of our preparations for the holiday and realized how empty and painful it would be for those who lost their precious loved ones yesterday. I thought of the family and friends who would forever have bittersweet memories surrounding Christmas, normally a holiday of love.

My heart breaks for the little children and the brave adults who died yesterday. It breaks for everyone in that school and that city. All of these people, adult and child alike, will have emotional scars for the rest of their lives.

I can only imagine the anguish of the parents who sent their babies to school not expecting to never see them again.

This is a sad, sad day for America.

It's people, our family and friends, who are more important. Hug your children. Tell them you love them. Do the same with the rest of your family and friends. Make time for them every day, at home and at church. Be kind to one another, not just today, but every day.

Will this bring back the ones we lost yesterday? Sadly no. But it might prevent another senseless tragedy from happening.



No comments: