Saturday, August 12, 2006

RWA National Conference in Atlanta

Thursday morning, I was up and running attending workshops. The first I went to was a PAN (Published Authors) workshop which discussed legal matters as they applied to writers. Very interesting! In fact, it was interesting enough that I bought the speaker's book (uh oh, that's two books I'd bought now...how heavy was my luggage going to be??? I always take juice for my breakfast and by this time, I'm starting to calculate the weight of the books minus the weight of the juice and wondering if I'm going to be under or over the limit. Yikes!)

I met up with Patti and her friend, Terri, during the luncheon. Have I mentioned the food at the Marriot was terrific? Yes, we had chicken but it actually tasted like chicken. The only bad part of the meal was the broccolini which could have used another 5 minutes in the steamer (yes, I know your veggies are supposed to be tender crisp but the key word is tender. I could barely cut those things with my knife)

After lunch was the AGM. I bypassed that and took the opportunity to actually check through the workshop schedule. Later I met up with Kat and Tara for dinner. Yep, the Champion again {g}. That night I attended another online chapter meeting--The Golden Network (the online chapter for Golden Heart Finalists). Because of my sale, I was being booted out (along with, I forget, about 27 other members who'd made their first sales too). I received a certificate and a darling little boot pin that I will proudly wear on my badge. So now I get to be an Alumnus, which makes me sound old and wise, huh? Pity that's only half true (be careful which half you choose to be true {g}

Friday morning, I had yet another chapter meeting. The Hearts Through History chapter had a breakfast meeting at the Hilton across the street. This is a terrific chapter filled with friendly, supportive writers whose love of history and willingness to share knowledge makes them one of the best chapters (local and online included). We won't even mention the great gifts they give to members. A HHRW tote bag, a lovely lace fan, a folder, a parasol (that's so nifty--haven't seen one of those in years!)

After that, it was workshop day.

Normally, I love going to the workshops--you always learn something new or something will inspire you to think about a writing technique in a new way. This year, however, the workshops I attended seemed a little mediocre. Not bad, really, but just...boring.

RWA, if you've never been to one of their conferences, offers several workshops each hour. I suspect that I just had a run of bad luck, picking workshops that just didn't pique my interest or didn't meet the expectations I'd gotten from reading the brief descriptions. It happens. The bad thing is that I'd chosen the 'poor' ones over ones that I'd considered attending that I later heard were fabulous. As I said, it happens.

I'd originally planned to attend the Passionate Ink lunch at the Georgia Aquarium but I was so full from breakfast, I knew if I ate anything else I'd be sick. So I elected to spend the time in my room, feet up.

Saturday dawned. The last full day of the Conference which would end with the Award Gala. Again, I started out with workshops, met some more friends, had a great time. The Award Ceremony rolled around and it was fantastic. Last year in Reno, you may remember, I had a case of food poisoning so I missed the Awards that so many complained was long and boring (a real shame since it was an Anniversary of RWA). This time, it was hosted by Nora Roberts (the Queen of Romance Writing {g}) and it moved, quick paced and interesting all the way through. I do believe it was the best Awards Ceremony I've ever attended (including the one where I finaled in the Golden Heart which should have made that one the best but, hey, I didn't win {g} and the ceremony was loonnggg and the room warm and stuffy)

After the Reception, I hit the sheets, fell asleep and woke up two hours later.

Normally, my friends and I have a small get-together for breakfast on Sunday but most of them had early flights so I (having chosen an afternoon flight) was on my own. I had breakfast down in the one hotel restaurant that didn't have a bar, LOL. Packed my luggage, made the decision to leave about 10 books and a small tip for the maid, then grabbed my stuff and headed to the airport.

It was only after I was aboard my plane that I realized I hadn't bought one souvenir! But at least I got some great pics of my friends and had a great experience (and no food poisoning! LOL)

I'll post, at another time, some info about the workshops I attended and liked.

No comments: